Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A-Ha! Not the band.

Dallas White Rock Half Marathon, December 14, 2008

The race conditions were unfortunate, the humidity was high, 86%, it was 20 degrees warmer than it had been all week, and there was a 25 mph headwind with gusts up to 35 mph, but Sunday's White Rock Half Marathon was a breakthrough run for me. Not because I was faster or stronger or better than ever before. In fact, I was slower and broke down at mile 11 and walked to the next aid station. Why did I stop? My head was in a dizzy tailspin. I was dehydrated and though I had been diligent about drinking the electrolyte water I was carrying, I needed some good old fashioned H2O.

So, why was this a breakthrough run for me? Because it is the first time I have had an issue while running and been able to determine the cause, address it and then continue on as if there was no problem. Yes, I lost 5- 10 minutes walking to the aid station but after drinking two cups of water, off I went, running like I hadn't stopped at all. And it felt great. Mentally, I think that I have finally broken through the confidence crushing good-run-goes-bad.

What I learned:

1. Drink some H2O, even if the race is short and especially if the conditions are humid.

2. I can start running even after I have stopped.

3. I can identify a problem and address it, even in a dehydrated mental state.

This race was truly a great day and not just due to the a-ha moment. Zach ran his first half marathon and did an amazing job. I couldn't be more proud of his accomplishment. Watching him come through the finish line was amazing and I am so lucky to share his joy! What a great feeling it is to reach a goal that you have worked hard to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment